Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blog?

Hello, hola, vanakkam!

My name is Adam, and this is my blog. Why, Adam? Why are you sharing your thoughts with the world like this? Do you really have anything worth sharing?

Why yes, blog! Yes I do. Also, harsh.

So the occasion of my starting this blog is the fact that I'm about to start the longest journey of my life. Starting May 4th, I will be leaving my home in Toronto to work as a labourer-teacher with Frontier College, on a farm around Leamington, ON. I'll be working with migrant workers from Latin America and the Caribbean. During the day, I'll be working as a labourer on the farm, and after the day's work is done, I'll volunteer as a teacher, mostly focussing on language skills.

After that, I'll be heading to Dharmapuri, India, on a co-op placement that should last, visa permitting, from September to July. I'll be working with Puvidham Rural Development Trust, an NGO that promotes education which emphasizes Montessori methods and a love of the earth, as well as organic farming methods. As a volunteer intern here, I'll be primarily working in the school, where my job will range from helping out with daily tasks to curriculum development and more!

All this as a roundabout way of saying, welcome to my blog, and I hope you'll share this journey with me.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    I realize I don't actually know you - but I am writing because I am doing an internship in India as well from late August until January in Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) with a literacy NGO. I went to Dalhousie for IDS. I came across your blog through Conor Anderson's blog (I met him recently doing CIDA-sponsored Intercultural Effectiveness training). Anyway, I just figured it can never hurt to know more people...especially people who are going to India!! My e-mail address is l.n.berton@gmail.com if you'd like to talk more.

    Take care,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. That's awesome that you're working with Frontier College. I know about that program. I volunteered as a tutor with them in Halifax.

    ReplyDelete